The Naval Support Activity Navy Base in New Orleans was a US Navy installation that used to be the largest military installation during its time of operation. Since it was able to meet the needs of the military personnel, in and behind the battle, it became the home to nearly 3900 active-duty and 2, 700 civilian personnel. In fact, it hosts the activities that were delegated to other branches of services as well as federal agencies. The facility spreads over the banks of Mississippi River and was home to the Naval Air Force Reserve Commander, Marine Forces Reserve, 4th Marine Aircraft Wing and the 4th Marine Division.
Cost of Living: 120.12 (higher, U.S. average is 100)
Automated Telephone Attendant Number: +1 504-678-3280
Base Address: 301 Russell Dr, Belle Chasse, LA 70037, United States
Base Population: 9,800 service members
City/Area Population: 343,829
Child Development Center:
Kidopolis Child Development Center
Royal Castle Child Development
Youth Study Center
Youth Empowerment Project
Airman and Family Readiness center:
Family Center of Hope
Family Service of Greater New Orleans
Administrative support 10.92%
Sales jobs 9.67%
Food service 9.54%
Marine Corps Support Facility
C&M Medical Services
New Orleans Emergency Medical Services
The land where the current Naval Support Activity is situated used to be part of a vast West Bank concession that was given by the Compagnie des Indes to Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne, who was the founder of the New Orleans in 1719. It was purchased by the US government on 1849 with the intention to build a Navy yard, yet it did not materialize resulting to the lease of land for farming purposes. However, in May of the same year, an additional land was purchased by the Navy with aims to expand the original site.
The US Naval Station was only formally established with the arrival of the Naval Dry Dock USS YFD-2 in November 1901. With the $4 million that was received by the Commandant of the Eight Naval District, additional buildings were constructed for the further improvement of the station. And in 1903, another property was obtained that gives the Navy a valuable river frontage that is almost three-fourths of a mile.
The original buildings that were constructed for the naval base had its completion in 1903. The LeBeuf-Ott Country Retreat building that was built in 1840 can still be found in the site and serves as Quarters “A” that is currently being occupied by the senior naval flag officer of the area.
The Naval Station remained open until September of 1911 where it became inactive for four years and was reopened n 1915 to serve as an industrial Navy yard for the repair of the US vessels. It remained open in its full operation until the June of 1933 and was put into maintenance status afterward.
However, it was reopened during the Great Depression where the Louisiana Emergency Relief Administration (later becomes WPA) was operated in the Naval Station’s third largest transient camp in May 1934. It serves as a shelter as well as a work and training ground to approximately 25,000 homeless men before it was closed again in March 1936.
It was later reactivated in December 1939 to handle the transient naval personnel, while, in August 1940, the YFD-2 was transferred to Pearl Harbor where it sunk as it drydock in the USS Shaw in an attack on December 7, 1941. It became a US Naval repair base in September 1944 and after three years became a US Naval Station that serves as the Headquarters to Support Activity in New Orleans until January 1962.
Since it is located on the east bank of the Mississippi River where the three largest building of the NSA can be found, it serves as the general logistical depot during the heat of World War I for the US Army Quartermaster Corps. It was partially used until its completion in February 1931 while the buildings 601 and 602 were leased by the Board of Commissioners.
However, when the World War II erupted, the lease was later canceled and the installation was reverted into a full-time military installation for the New Orleans Port of Embarkation under the supervision of the US Army Transportation Corps. And in 1965, it became the New Orleans Army Base from being the New Orleans Army terminal in 1955.
As of today, the Naval Base serves as the host for the nation’s Headquarters of the Marine Corps Reserve forces, while other portions are where the Navy Reserve forces are stationed along with the other 40 commands that serve all the military life aspects.
The Naval Base was converted into a “Federal City” which the members of the BRAC Commission accepted. Thus, it has managed to get excluded from the list of military installations that should be closed. Today, it is the home to numerous businesses that includes the marine launch company and an enterprise software company.
Aside from being a Federal City that is home to Center Lift, a marine launch company and to Maxwell Worthington, which is an enterprise software company and other businesses in the Algiers community– it serves as a host to the nation’s Marine Corps Reserve Forces, Navy Reserve Forces, 4th Marine Aircraft Wing and the 4th Marine Division.
The military housing in NSA New Orleans Navy Base is highly privatized and is managed and offered by the Naval Air Station-Joint Reserve Base in Belle Chasse, Louisiana and The Village at Federal City in Algiers. The military housing community is welcome to active military personnel, retirees, reservists and DoD civilians. But if interested individuals prefer off-base housing units, there are lots of homes for sales and houses for rent that are proximate to NAS JRB New Orleans.
[google_news query="NSA New Orleans Navy Base LA"]