Situated west of Milan, Tennessee, Milan Army Ammunition Plant Army Base is a 22,356 acres ammunition plant for the U.S. Army. This Army Base is also known by its acronym (MLAAP) but locals usually call it "Bullet Town." The facility is located 26.5 miles north of Jackson, with State Highway 465 and Spring Creek Road to the west and east of the Brewer Hill and Hope Hill Cemetery to the south, and Rutherford Fork Obion River to its northern area. This ammunition center has multiple capabilities to provide the U.S. Army with ammunition that includes propelling charges, bursters, ignition cartridges, grenades, and artillery projectiles.
Milan Army Ammunition Plant Army Base also takes charge to assemble, load and pack all type of ammunition, including 40 mm cartridges, same as 60mm, 80mm, and 120mm mortars and components. This plant is also responsible for demilitarization and disposal of ammunition, Tactical Missile Systems, development, production, test and logistical support, besides renovation and reclamation of ammo are also part of the operation. This Army Base goal is serving the U.S. Armed forces in their inventory, control and accountability for the different ammunition requests coming through different armed forces and branches within the Department of Defense.
Cost of Living: Being an isolated place and restricted to public access, there is no information on the cost of living at Milan Army Ammunition Plant Army Base and not enough information on the cost of living in Milan or Jackson, Tennessee, the closest cities to this facility but, in overall terms, if we consider that the USA consumer price index is of 74.01, we can conclude that the local purchasing power is of 152.17.
Automated Telephone Attendant Number: Just dial (731) 686-6087.
Base Population: During World War II, the MLAAP had a base population of 10,000 employees that eventually dropped to 1,500, but the facility was never turned into the "Ghost Town" by the end of the war as the Saturday Evening Post predicted in 1944. The Ammunition Plant base population was over 8,000 employees by the time of the Korean War, then dropping again to only 500 by 1959. In 1968, war in Vietnam brought another 7,000 people, but the base population dropped again in 2013 to only 110 employees.
City/Area Population: The city of Milan, which houses the MLAAP, has a population of 7,851 inhabitants as of the 2010 census, while nearby Jackson is one of the cities in the Jackson, Tennessee Metropolitan Statistical Area, which consists of two counties, Chester and Madison, as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, and therefore the combined population in the area was estimated to be 113,629 as of 2009.
Child Development Centers:
Besides a YMCA facility located adjacent to the Milan city park, public education around the military facility includes three schools: Milan High School (grades 9–12,) Milan Middle (grades 5–8) and Milan Elementary (grades K-4) although there were other schools that were demolished, including one that served exclusively black students.
Other development centers include Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), the Milan High School Alumni Association (MHSAA), the Milan Endowment for Growth in Academics (MEGA), and the West Tennessee Agricultural Museum, and extension facility of the University of Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station located in this city.
Milan Army Ammunition Plant Army Base was constructed in 1942, but consisted of two separated facilities, the Wolf Creek Ordinance Plant and the Milan Ordinance Depot, that were later merged into one by 1945 under the name of Milan Arsenal. In 1960, the facility changed its name to the name we know today. Originally owned by The Proctor and Gamble Defense Corporation , this facility is actually operated by the American Ordinance, a private contractor that began to move operations to Iowa since 2008 to date.
The Milan Army Ammunition Plant Army never housed any U.S. army units or stationed troops, being basically an ammunition manufacturing and storage facility.
MLAAP housing comprises 873 igloos, 1,450 buildings, and a storage capacity of 2,270,000 square feet. This facility also houses the Browning House, a historic place that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on 28 June 1974. This facility is closed to the public, but has wildlife areas for fishing and hunting that people can access with a permit.
[google_news query="Milan Army Ammunition Plant, tn"]